Green Mansion

Overview

The J.A. Green Mansion was built in 1883. This three story stone home had twelve rooms, two baths and a conservatory. Its walls, pillars and cornices were made of finely chiseled local stone. Each of the seven fireplaces was made of a different type of imported marble. Victorian luxury is the best description of this home. Reputable costing $ 12,000.00. He raised his 9 children there. One of the first houses to have gravity fed running water. The house and property was later sold to Frank Nissen in 1920, and later purchased by his son George of trampoline fame. Later used as a summer home of poet and author Paul Engle and his family. It was destroyed by fire in 1963 and limestone ruins were later removed.



Copyright 2013 | The Stone City Foundation | All Rights Reserved.

designed by g.a.w.d.